Thursday, April 8, 2010

Tempo Run with a Stroller? And a New Flexitarian Diet.


SICK children are no fun. Beside the point that I felt bad for poor little Logey yesterday, I did not get a SINGLE thing done except for a small batch of laundry. Hubby came to the rescue at around 5:30pm (which is uuuuuber early for him to be home) and let me head to the gym for a 55 minute elliptical session. How nice is THAT? MUCH needed escape; I was extremely grateful. Anywhooo, we woke up a tad happier today, and the little munchkin is napping now due to sheer exhaustion from crying all day and all night. Hoping we can get out today for a run - a tempo run is on the schedule, but not so sure how fast it will be with pushing the bambino...hmmm. I'll probably jog 1.5 miles...quicken it up for 15 minutes, and then jog another 1.5. After that, if all goes well and no crying ensues, I'll release him to the wonderous gym daycare ladies and get some weights in. Maybe no abs today...since I have been doing a lot of them...and I don't need to make my middle thicker! Still battling a slight layer on top of the abs that I am not so happy about...unnoticeable to others, but for some reason a huge issue for moi. I've actually begun totally changing my diet to a "flexitarian" diet. Meaning, I am not eating as much meat, maybe only one to two meals a week with a little bit of chicken...I'd like to get it down to one meal a week. My insides seem to agree better with mainly veggies, grains, and some fruit. Duhhh. Isn't that what we were created to eat? I think SO. And I might possibly have a slight dairy issue, where too much of it spells disaster for my intestines. I truly think that I FEEL better and perform better (running/attitude/happiness) when I eat this way (plants/fruits/grains). I notice a mjaor change when I eat too much red meat, cheese, or white bread...any one else notice this trend as well? I really wonder how, for so many years, I ate what I wanted and just weathered the painful gut, down mood, and sluggish feeling...not to mention skin problems. I was never one to have major skin issues, however, I notice a marked improvement when I eat a better diet.

The general consensus here is that it makes SO much more sense to eat yummy things that are good for us, thus allowing ourselves to enjoy a better quality of life. Plus, cooking great food is super duper fun, and a fantastic learning experience. I mean seriously, who knew kale could be so good (I did know this already, but did you?)

Anywho, to cheer on this whole flexitarian idea, I have been searching for good recipes. Any one like hummus? ME ME ME ME! I could eat it by the spoonful, which sounds gross but whatev. Check this out -

Garden Pea & Walnut Hummus
Makes 8 servings (~2 Tablespoons each)

INGREDIENTS
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1.5 cup frozen green peas, thawed
1/3 cup raw walnuts
1/2 lemon, juiced
1/4 cup fresh basil
Salt & pepper, to taste
Whole grain pita breads/flatbreads/baguettes, grilled

DIRECTIONS

In food processor, puree ingredients until smooth.
Serve hummus spread with grilled breads.
Optional: top hummus with chopped walnuts, basil, and drizzle of olive oil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nutrition
Facts (hummus only)
Serv. size 2 Tbsp (37g)
Servings 8
Calories 78
Fat Cal. 56


Sounds SOOOO good. Not your normal hummus but I like change! I'll probably try this out this wknd and let you all know how it comes out, and then maybe you can add it to your handy little cookbook. I have my own cookbook chock full of recipes I've found/been given. It's a great idea to have one of these because it's full of your faves!


Off to another day here - thankfully NM is looking up weatherwise and will be hitting 70s the next few days, thank God!

Happy eating, you lovely foodies/runners!

2 comments:

  1. Yum! Yay for flexitarians! That's basically how Jay and I eat. I have been eating like that for about 5 or 6 years now. I pretty much only eat meat protein at dinner. I would say I eat meat with 25/30 dinners of the month, but I only eat chicken or fish. It makes a HUGE difference for my guts. And we eat TONS of vegi's. I mean come on! They're delcious, they're interesting, there are sooo many different kinds and ways to prepare then, and they make me feel soooo happy! Even Jay LOVES them now too and wants like 1 million per meal. I don't eat pasta or really any huge quantity of carbs - besides nice crispy french bread which actually doesn't seem to bother me. Low animal fat of all kinds is pretty much key for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your blog! So happy to have found it.

    Thanks for the recipe too. looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments entertain me - so please, be my guest!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Labels