Monday, July 20, 2009

More baby love every day





So...last Monday I had our Logan! It has been almost a week now, and it's funny how you start to forget the whole labor/delivery so quickly. I think about it every day to try and remember it...not because I enjoyed the pain, but because it was such a miracle!

If you're not into nitty gritty details, then don't read this! Otherwise, I'll recap how it all went down.

I woke up Monday morning at 3 AM and got up, knowing I wouldn't be able to sleep anymore. I was having contractions, and may have been having them for a while but didn't realize it in my sleep. I got up, putted around, made some coffee, read a magazine. They were about 5-7 min apart...which made me nervous because they say to go the hospital when they are 5 min apart! However, I didn't want to jump the gun so I sat around for a couple hours. I ended up crawling back in bed with Mike around 5 AM, he woke up because I was obviously moving around and making noise. I told him I thought I was having contractions, which got him all excited. He was up and timing them immediately. They started to get closer together, about 2-3 minutes apart, and stronger. Finally around 7AM we got our stuff and hopped in the car. Got to the hospital and they checked me out...and I was only 1 cm dilated, just like my last dr. appt! They told us to walk around for a couple hours. We did that, and by the time we got back they were a lot stronger and I just wanted to stay in the triage room. I had only progressed to 2 cm. The problem I was having was thatthey were so close together I had no time to rest! I stayed in the triage room another 2 hours and finally got to 4 cm, so they admitted me. At that point I was getting aggravated as they were a lot stronger. I do remember thinking...I don't know if I can do this for a lot longer. Anyway, we got to a room, and they set me up in the new bed. I had been standing up and leaning on the bed before, but by now I just stayed in bed. By 3PM I had had enough...they were so strong and close together I got an epidural. The lady who did it probably finished around 3:30 and it kicked in full gear by 4 or so...finally some relief! I could feel most contractions, but the pain pretty much went away. I had been having horrific back labor so this helped a lot. As time went on I began to feel more pressure during contractions, and could definitely tell when I was having a strong one. I labored like this until about 7PM, I had been dilated to 10 for a little while, and had to WAIT because the dr. was busy with emergency c-sections! WHAT?! So, I had a midwife do it, she was extremely nice. I started pushing at 8, and he came into the world at 9:02 PM! The midwife said, of course, if I hadn't had the epi I would have gotten him out a lot faster. Also, he was sunnyside up, which made the process a little longer because it takes them longer to get through the birth canal this way. Either way, by the time he came out I was fine. They delivered the placenta, and I felt it but didn't really care or notice because I had this squirmy baby on my chest! He was beautiful. 7 lbs 3 oz. 21 inches long. It is so weird that THAT came out of ME. I can't even make sense of it...it boggles my mind. Mike was good the whole time, really helpful and encouraging...took lots of pics right after and a couple videos of him being measured etc etc.

The whole experience was insane, and I won't lie, I felt like I got hit by a bus a couple days later. Sore every where! But, I am recovering fast and just can't believe I DID it. I remember thinking in the months leading up to it that I couldn't do it (not that I had a choice).

Anyway, gtg, little man is calling.

1 comment:

  1. dude! I love looking at your baby pics! Keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments entertain me - so please, be my guest!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Labels