Thursday, July 1, 2010

I AM a Runner

New love: Almond Butter. Why didn't any one TELL me it was so GOOD?! Picked some up at Trader Joe's yesterday. Nice for a change, since peanut butter had gotten old to me.

~~~~~

My new little revelation: I am going to be happy to run shorter distances, and not agonize over feeling pressured to run a marathon or do a 1/2 Ironman. That's right, I said it! What is it with "runners" saying that you're only a true runner if you have run a marathon. That is such a bunch of BS. I have struggled with calling myself a runner or a triathlete because I didn't want those "real" runners or tri'sters to look down on me. Well guess what, I am so over that. If I can run a competitive 5k, 10k, and 1/2 marathon - which I can - than I think I am entitled to call myself a runner, right? Same goes for tri's...I have only done sprints, but those are valid in my mind. Marathons take a lot of time and commitment, and far too many weekly miles for me to even fathom right now. To be honest, I don't FEEL like running 20 miles on my Sunday. I would so rather work out as I please, maybe a nice 6 miler, and then have my day free for other important things (son, husband, friends, other hobbies). Maybe someday I will revisit the idea of completing a marathon, but for now, it's on the wayyyy back burner. And I am okay with that.

~~~~~~~

Happiness Journal:

I'm going to take the little guy in the BOB for a 30 minute run BEFORE it gets to be 100 degrees out!
I will write one article today.
I am happy for 2 cups of joe in the AM!

7 comments:

  1. Just found your blog. I agree with you a marathon does not make you a runner. You can absolutely be a runner and never touch a marathon. I think if you run and love it...you should be considered a runner no matter what your distance is or pace. I love almond butter. In fact, I just ordered three jars of my favorite kind because you can't find it here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't feel bad. I just discovered almond butter a couple of months ago. It's soooooo gooooood.

    I've run two half-marathons and will begin training for a full in one month. And I still hesitate to call myself a runner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE almond butter. Next time you're at TJs, try the almond butter with roasted flaxseeds. I OD on it!

    I just did a post on the topic of distance--it was based on an article I read about how you can race really well at shorter distance rather than just running marathons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll have to head over and read it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. good for you. if you don't want to do a marathon...DON'T. You wont enjoy the training and it could cause you to burn out on something you love...running. Some day the bug might get you, but until then, you're still a runner as long as you run. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Quick story...Myself and a lady that I had never seen before were running to catch a train that was seconds away from leaving the station. We both made it...but just barely (the door shut right behind her). She was gasping for air, she noticed my sneakers tied to my bag and she said between breaths "I'm...not...a...runner". To which I replied: "You are now". Doesn't matter weather you run a marathon or run for the train - if you hall ass...you're a runner in my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you run, you're a runner! Amen! :)

    I can't believe you're just now trying almond butter! You've been missing out for sure!

    Have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete

Your comments entertain me - so please, be my guest!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Labels